Water and Sewer – FAQs

How do I apply for water and/or sewer service?

Please complete a Water and/or Sewer Service Application and provide a copy of a government issued photo id.  You may complete an application and submit via email or submit an application in person at the Municipal Authority of the Borough of Bedford’s office located at 244 W. Penn Street, Bedford, PA, Monday – Thursday 9 am – 4 pm and Fridays 9 am – 3 pm.  The office is closed for lunch from 12 pm – 1 pm.

What are the current water and sewer rates?

Effective 1st Quarter 2024:

  • $76.00 Water*
  • $76.50 Sewer*
*These figures represent the minimum amount charged per quarter for water and sewer service.

Is there a minimum usage that I will be billed for?

Yes.  Each consumer unit is billed for a minimum of 5,000 gallons.

I moved into my house in the middle of a billing cycle.  Will my first bill be pro-rated?

Yes, provided that you do not exceed the minimum usage of 5,000 gallons.

What are the water and sewer rates if I exceed the 5,000 gallon minimum?

Effective 1st Quarter 2024:

  • $15.20 Water – per 1,000 gallons
  • $15.30 Sewer – per 1,000 gallons

Where can I find a copy of the authorities’ rules and regulations?

The respective rules and regulations can be found by clicking below:

My bill seems unusually high.  What can I do?

There are many factors that can contribute to a high usage bill.  Some factors include, but are not limited to, filling a pool, having house guests, doing laundry, washing your car, watering your lawn, garden or flowers, etc.  If you are confident there are not any extraordinary factors contributing to your usage, we ask that you check your home for a leak.

How do I check my home for a leak?

You can check your home for a leak in a few different ways.

–  Ensure that toilets are not continuously running.

–  Ensure that plumbing and faucets are not leaking with a visual inspection.

–  If you and any other occupants are going to be away for a period of time (a few hours or work day), you can read the meter before leaving the home and read it when you return.  If the meter read has changed and you are confident no one used any water during that period, you may have a leak.

Who is responsible if there is a leak?

The property owner is responsible for all water and sewer lines from the street tap to the house, including all plumbing within the house. If you rent a home, please contact your landlord to report your concerns. The respective Borough department maintains and repairs water and sewer lines at the street level.  Water meters are also maintained by the Municipal Authority of the Borough of Bedford as normal wear and tear occurs.  The Municipal Authority of the Borough of Bedford shall not be responsible for any damage to or loss of any water meter arising out of or caused by a customer’s or resident’s negligence or carelessness.